Stretching is an important part of exercise and muscle preparation that’s quite often undervalued and overlooked by most people. The benefits of stretching provide significant benefits for muscle health and muscle preparation before exercise to keep the muscles flexible and strong to execute a range of motion.
Stretching lengthens the muscle and stimulates blood flow to the area, preparing the muscle for activity. Without stretching, the muscles aren’t subjected to their full potential and can remain short and tight. This can lead to pain and tightness in the muscles after a workout, sprains and even tears in the tendons and ligaments.
What are the key benefits of stretching?
- Increases blood flow and oxygen to the muscles and other areas of the body
- Increases flexibility and range of motion
- Warms the soft tissues to help prevent injury
- Improves muscle tone and posture
- Optimises performance
- Helps promote healing to muscles and joints
- Helps to eliminate stress and improve mental sharpness
Tips for effective stretching:
- Stretch before and after exercise
- Stretching after exercise should be done within 10 minutes while the body and muscles are still warm and lengthened
- You should not feel pain when stretching, only to feel the muscles lengthen and relax
- Stretch with a smile! You’re looking after your body the way you deserve :)