3 STEPS TO HELP PREVENT & TREAT SPRAINS, STRAINS AND SPORT INJURIES
Step 1: HEAT IT
Heat can increase extensibility and blood flow to tissues prior to activity, which may reduce the risk of injury to these tissues.
- It’s important to complete a dynamic warm up to prepare your body before exercising.
- Applying a heat product can also help warm soft tissue, such as muscles, tendons and ligaments, to become more flexible and stretch more easily.
- Be careful not to overstretch, as you run the risk of a strain.
Step 2: FREEZE IT
Cold Therapy causes the blood vessels to constrict which can help minimise soft tissue damage.
Cold Therapy can also help alleviate the pain associated with Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) which can occur 24-48 hours after exercise, when muscles have been strained.
- Never ignore an injury, apply a cooling product immediately.
- Applying a cooling product as part of PRICE (Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) can help minimise damage, reduce recovery time and provide FAST relief.
- Keep cooling the affected area for up to 72 hours.
Step 3: HEAT IT
It’s important to rehab an injury properly and for the right amount of time. If you return to your sport too soon, it could cause the injury to reoccur.
- Approximately 72 hours after injury, apply a heat product and massage to aid healing and help restore movement.
- Repeat daily until stiffness and pain has gone.
This could help the soft tissue remodelling process with in turn helps prevent re-injury and further pain.